Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 May 2011

గాంధీగారు శిలా విగ్రహాలు - Mahatma Gandhi And Statues

MAHATMA GANDHI'S INTERVIEW TO THE PRESS
DELHI,
March 21, 1931


Why did you refuse to allow the Ahmedabad Municipality to erect a monument to you?
A. Because man’s best monument is not a thing of stone, but consists in living deeds and in memory which survives in the minds of those he served. Such funds should be used for the uplift of the poor and not to glorify or immortalize in marble a man who merely served his brother man.

[COMPLETE VOLUMES OF GANDHI - VOLUME51 PAGE 275]

ఆంధ్రప్రదేశ్ లో వీధికొక్కటి చొప్పున శిలావిగ్రహాలను పెడుతున్న / పెట్టించుకుంటున్న రాజకీయనాయకులకు ఇదే గాంధీగారి బోధ.  ఆయన తన శిలావిగ్రహాన్ని పెట్టుకోవడానికి ససేమిరా ఒప్పుకోనని అనుమతి ఇవ్వనని చెప్పారు.  విలేఖరులు అలా మీ విగ్రహాలు పెట్టద్దని ఎందుకు చెబుతున్నారు అని అడిగారు:డిల్లీ, మార్చి 21, 1931

విలేఖరులు:  మీ శిలావిగ్రహాన్ని పెట్టడానికి అహమదాబాద్ మున్సిపాలిటీ వారికి అనుమతి నిరాకరించారట ఎందుకు?

గాంధీగారు: ఎందుకంటే ఒక మనిషికి ఇవ్వగలిగిన ఘనమైన నివాళి శిలావిగ్రహాలో కాదు, అది ఆ మనిషి సేవలు అందుకున్న వ్యక్తుల ఆచరణలలో వారి జ్ఞాపకాలలో ఉండాలి.  అలా నిధులను శిలావిగ్రహాలలో దుబారా చేసేబదులు పేదలకు మంచిచెయ్యడానికి ఉపయోగించాలి.  అంతేకానీ తన సోదరుడికి ఒక సోదరభావంతో సేవచేసిన సామాన్యునియొక్క చలువరాతి శిలావిగ్రహాలు పెట్టడంలో కాదు...మహాత్ముడిని అనుసరించే మానవులందరూ... నేర్చుకోండి.... నేర్చుకోండి... [మహాత్మాగాంధీ సాహిత్య సర్వస్వము - సంపుటి 51 పేజి 275] 

Question to Gandhiji:
Probably you know that your statues are being set up and your photographs
unveiled at many places. What do you think about this?

Gandhiji's reply:

How can I say I do not know that my statues are being erected and my photographs   are  being unveiled  everywhere   in  the country, that   they  are  garlanded  and  lights   are  waved  before  them?  But  I attach  no  importance  to  these  things,  for  I  dislike  such  things intensely. They are a sheer waste of money. And I strongly fell that these activities do me no honour but, on the contrary, are an affront to me .   If the  people  wish  to honour  me ,   let  them honour   the   charkha, that is, spin daily by way of yajna. That will be as good as honouring me. Let themalso read the Gita and meditate over its teaching. And if they  cannot  do  even  that,  let  them  just  repeat  Ramanama.  

To understand a man’s virtues and follow his principles in one’s own life is as good as honouring the man himself. I know full well what labour it costs to set up statues of a living man or unveil his photographs, to distribute  sweets  after  the  ceremony  and  to  make  the  function  a success at great expense. I,  therefore,  believe  that  we  degrade  our
religion through such activities. No man can be described as perfectly  good   or  wise   or   as   a  mahatma   before   he   is   dead.  Nobody   but  God knows a man’s heart. I would rather wish that instead of setting up my statues or unveiling my photographs,  people  opened  spinning  and weaving  schools  or  did  something  else  which  would  benefit  the
country socially, spiritually, economically or politically.

From: THE COLLECTED WORKS OF MAHATMA GANDHI Volume 95 Page 166

No comments:

Post a Comment